Before using the neopixel lightsaber, it is essential to exercise extreme caution, as it is not a toy but a collector’s prop designed for adults over the age of 18. Children must use it under the supervision of an adult at all times. Avoid direct staring at the LEDs, as it may harm your eyesight. Additionally, some models may have sharp edges, so handle with care.
Prior to Using the Neopixel Lightsaber:
- Do not perform any alignment or insertion while the power is on, as it may cause the pins to short out.
- If you experience flickers, wrong colors, or no light at all on the blade, check for a loose connection between the blade and the retention screw.
- When inserting or removing the inner chassis, ensure that the connecting pins are properly aligned. Do not press your ear against the speaker.
- Avoid pulling out the protective film from the chassis, as it may cause a short circuit.
Attaching the Neopixel Blade to the Hilt:
- Neopixel blades are only compatible with Neopixel lightsabers, not RGB lightsabers.
- Place the blade into the emitter of the Neopixel lightsaber. Push the blade all the way in until it’s firmly in place.
- Insert the set screw into the holes on the emitter’s side. Use the included 2mm hex key to tighten the screw slowly until the blade is securely fastened. Do not overtighten to avoid damaging the blade or screw threads.
Basic Guide to Using the Neopixel Lightsaber:
The Neopixel lightsaber operates using a single button, and each function is denoted by a number of red flashes, as explained below:
- To wake the lightsaber, press and hold the LED button (power button) on the hilt for 2 seconds. You will hear a “Power On” voice, and the button’s surrounding ring will light up, indicating the saber is active.
- To turn on the blade, quickly press the button on the hilt once.
- Hold the button down for 2 seconds to power off the blade.
- To turn off the entire saber, hold the button for 10 seconds until you hear a slowing sound, and the light surrounding the hilt button will turn off.
- To engage the saber lock-up, hold the button for 0.5 seconds until the button LED flashes once, then release.
- To activate the saber force, keep the button pressed for 1.5 seconds. The button’s LED will flash twice, then release.
Blade On Mode – Active Controls:
When the blade is turned on, the following controls are active, depending on the LED button’s flash:
- Blaster Effect: Press the power button once to trigger the blaster deflection effect.
- Drag Effect: For one flash, press and hold the button, then release. The drag effect will be activated. End the drag effect with a short press.
- Blade Color Change: Hold the button down for two flashes, then release. The color cycle will begin, and when you reach your desired color, press the button once to set it.
- Blade Switch Off: Hold the button down for another two flashes to turn off the blade.
Blade Off Mode – Active Controls:
When the blade is turned off, the following controls are active, depending on the LED button’s flash:
- Volume Setting: Hold the button down for a single flash and then release. The volume will change. You have three options: High Volume, Low Volume, and Mute Volume. After setting the desired volume, press the button once to light up the saber.
- Blade Mode: Hold the button down for two flashes and then release. The blade effect will be altered. You can select Blaster Blade mode or Ghost Blade mode by maintaining any effect. These modes are only affected by blade color and typeface selection.
- Blade Light Effects: Hold the button down for two flashes and then release. The blade effect will be altered. Choose from Steady Blade, Pulse Blade, Rainbow Blade, Unstable Blade, and Fire Blade effects. After selecting a light effect, press the button once to light up the saber.
- Sound Setting: Hold the button down for 3 flashes and then release. The sound typeface will change. After selecting the desired volume level, press the button once to light up the saber. You can customize the font choices.
Battery Charging Management:
- Before using the saber, ensure the battery is fully charged. Connect the charging port to a 5V/1A DC charger. Charging typically takes around 4 hours. The small light on the chassis will illuminate when charging and turn off when charging is complete.
- Do not charge the lightsaber for more than 5 hours. It is advised not to charge it overnight.
- Charge the battery at least once every two weeks to prevent it from being completely discharged.
- Ensure you insert the battery with the correct polarity (positive and negative ends) aligned correctly.
Advanced Controls – Motion Controls:
- The neopixel lightsaber includes advanced motion functions:
- To turn the blade on or off with a fast-stabbing motion, keep the hilt level.
- A short twist with the hilt pointed downward will change the sound theme to the next one on the list. A twist in either direction while the hilt is downward will produce the same result.
- If there are music tracks available in the sound theme folder, a quick twist with the hilt pointed upward will play the music. Another twist will turn the music off.
- To engage the lockup, hold the button and strike the hilt/blade. Press the button again to end the lockup.
- A fast twist with the hilt pointed downward while holding the button will alter the specified blade color. Release the button to change the current color.
- A short twist while holding the button with the hilt pointed upward will provide a distinctive effect. If the relevant sound file is present in the sound theme, it will also play a sound.
Firmware Updates to Fix Problems:
Occasionally, firmware updates may be released to update effects, resolve issues, and make improvements. To update the neopixel board, follow these steps:
- Access the neopixel chassis by removing the grip and pommel.
- Carefully remove the battery. Tap the chassis in the opposite direction of your hand to remove the battery gently.
- Check the label inside the chassis to ensure that the positive and negative ends of the battery align correctly when reinstalling it.
- Locate the micro-SD card in the chassis. Take note of its orientation for easy reinstallation.
- Carefully remove the micro-SD card using tweezers or your fingers. Avoid pushing the card up or down, as it may damage the connection.
- Download the ‘update.bin’ file from the website and save it on your PC or Mac.
- Open the ‘set’ folder on the micro-SD card.
- Drop the ‘update.bin’ file into the ‘set’ directory.
- Safely eject the micro-SD card and replace it in the chassis.
- Install the batteries, but do not turn on the hilt. Listen for sound confirmations indicating that the update has started and completed. The update process should only take a few seconds.
Configuration of Sound:
To convert sounds to work with the neopixel lightsaber, manual conversion is necessary at this time. The accepted sound file types are shown below, and you can add multiple sounds for each type:
- 16-bit, mono, 22050Hz or 44100Hz
Neopixel does not read folders with names, so they must be numbered sequentially. Renaming files with the same name in Windows 10 will automatically number them, making it easier to convert many files of the same sound type.
The ‘config.ini’ file under the ‘set’ folder on the SD card contains default configurations for the lightsaber. You can customize these configurations to enhance your experience:
- To turn off Twist Power and Stab Power gestures, change the following lines to ‘0’:TwistPwrOn=0 TwistPwrOff=0
- To adjust the sensitivity of flash-on-clash, change the following line (default value is 1.5) to a lower value for a smoother experience:ClashSensitivity=1.0
- You can customize the default blade colors for each sound font by changing the RGB values in the format (r, g, b):Color-X=(r, g, b)Replace X with the sound theme folder number, and r, g, b with red, green, and blue values in the range 0-255. Mixing these values will produce different blade colors.
Please note that customizing default blade styles is not possible in Xeno Soundboards, but it can be done in Proffie Boards.
- Lightsaber Can’t Turn On:
- Ensure proper battery contact by adjusting the gasket to fit the battery between both ends.
- Check if the lightsaber works when plugged into the charger. If not, ensure proper battery insertion.
- Charging Issues:
- Ensure the battery terminals make proper contact with the battery and are fully adjusted.
- Blade’s Light Not Turning On:
- Fully insert the neopixel blade to ensure it touches the pin and lights up.
- No Sound from Lightsaber:
- Check if the saber is on mute and adjust the sound volume accordingly.